25.10.16

Send me.



"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." Matthew 28:19-20

I woke up this morning under my crisp-white comforter, stretched, rolled over, and decided to do something I haven't done in at least 6 months or so. 

I created a new Pinterest board.

It started with a picture of a girl, probably a few years younger than me, reaching toward a group of African children. That led to more, than quotes about "going forth into the world," and the great commission, and pictures of globes and adorable children from all different races. The best part was the young people in their teens and twenties ministering to these kids. As I pinned and discovered board after board, I became more excited. This. This is what I've always wanted to do, from the time I was little. . .4 years old when I told my mom "I want to be a missionary someday."

There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.' C. S. Lewis


Recently I've said I'm not called overseas. I think in some ways its an excuse. After working in Colorado the past two summers I was sure I wanted to do ministry for the rest of my life. In the US. I don't know about you, but its easy for me to settle. Worse, become afraid of the unknown. But then I met this incredible woman named Mollie. Mollie sat me down one chilly afternoon on my break, as the wind whipped the mountains and thunder purred in the distance. We talked on a swing near the upper-meadow, a field high on a hill overlooking the ranch. She is one of those inside-out beautiful women you hear about but never think you'll meet. A true hero of the faith. I poured my heart out to Mollie on the hilltop that day--my fears, my heartbreaks, my past. She listened, but then she left me with this challenge:

This is a critical time of life.
Chronicle your growth.
The ups and downs.
The good times and bad.
Keep them as a reminder.
In other words, journal.

She even gave me a pretty little blue-bound book when she left, and yes Mollie, if your reading this. . .I HAVE been journaling. Not every day, but enough to say that I'm committed to the task. ;)

Mollie said a lot of life-altering things during that conversation, but it was the theme of our talk that left me breathless and impassioned: "you are not limited by anything. A lot of Christians use God as a shield to hide behind. An excuse not to pursue their calling, to find their destiny." My paraphrase, but that was the meaning of her message. Mollie encouraged-no, commanded-me to go out and find my purpose. She told me there are no limits. That I need to walk through every door, until they are closed. I don't know if she realized it then, but I took those words to heart.

God started taking me out of my comfort zones. A very difficult (but so freeing,) phone call. Exploring different types of prayer. Worshiping with women who'd been sex-trafficked. Even small, every day things like rolling out of bed at the crack of dawn to ride a horse half-way up a mountain. . . then down harrowing (or so it seemed, ;) ) switchback trails. I realized that I really am only limited by one thing: fear. When I went home for a week in September it became my hearts cry to show others that there is no limit. God created us with resources and talents, and so many young people are wasting them. This is not at all to say that a steady income or settled roots are a bad thing. But for someone like me-a single, mid-20's girl-the world is a huge, exciting place, waiting for me with open arms. My new motto is if God wants it to happen-even things like finances aside-it will happen. I'm inspired. And for the first time in my life, I'm not just talking about it. . .I'm doing it. From the Rocky Mountains of Colorado to the hills of Kentucky. . .maybe even Thailand or Uganda. 

Oh yeah. About that. 

So I started this Pinterest board, Serve. Check it out and maybe you too will get inspired (though I think there are only like 27 pins on there so far. ;) ) And I became excited. Almost ravenously. Could be hormones. I think it was God. Why not just do it. Go on my first-ever overseas missions trip? If I am accepted I'm going to find a way to raise the money. After all, if its meant to happen . . .it will.

In my search I happened upon this website listing a ton of different organizations with just about any type of missions trip (or in some cases, a vacation with a little ministry thrown in. . .not my cup of tea,) you could possibly imagine. Like I already said, I've always wanted to go to Africa. I started "saving" all the trips I was looking at, and then suddenly. . .I bumped into a trip to Thailand from Real Impact Missions, or "RIM". In a nutshell, this month-long trip helps rescue young women from prostitution and sex-trafficking, something very dear to my heart after working with the ladies from City of Refuge this summer. Thailand? Not the first place I'd consider, but God really does have a sense of humor. . .I'm convinced of that.

It was kind of compulsive, but I went ahead and filled out an application. Going to be praying like crazy if they accept me, because $4,000 is something I just don't have. :P If God is behind all of this, in 2017 I may be heading out to Thailand or (my second choice,) Uganda to ride elephants, eat strange foods, and bring the gospel of Jesus Christ to women and children in need. Send me, Lord Jesus!

If you'd like to pray for me, support me financially (I'll be setting up a page with an item for sale soon,) or just follow my adventures, keep watching this spot. I'd also love some tips from anyone who has done short term missions, has traveled in the countries mentioned, or knows more about RIM. 

Mollie, this post is dedicated to you. Thank you for helping me see my limits, my fears, and setting them free.  


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for being willing to go out and serve our Lord! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete